What Do I Do If My Cat Has Been Poisoned

Unfortunately, pet poisoning is the order of the day. There has been much news that we have heard about dogs and cats that have happened to them, and this is the result of hatred that some feel for animals. If you have a cat, and leaves and enters the house, you may see yourself in this situation. Then you will ask yourself: “What do I do if my cat has been poisoned?”

Before knowing how to act against poisoning, you must learn to recognize its symptoms.

Symptoms of poisoning in cats

The symptoms of poisoning are very clear. It will not be difficult for you to identify them and, in that way, remedy what your cat is going through. These are the most common. Think that your cat does not have to go through all of them to realize that something is wrong; I could show only one or more of them.

  • Breathing problems
  • Vomiting and diarrhea
  • Cough and Sneezy
  • Excessive salivation
  • Pee darkened
  • Gasps
  • Bluetongue
  • Gastric problems
  • Depression
  • Involuntary seizures
  • Dilated pupils
  • Fainting
  • Shaking chills

These are the most common, although it could be presented in other ways. As we always tell you, at this point, you have the responsibility to observe your cat and notice any changes you might see in him and thus be able to act quickly.

What do I do if my cat has been poisoned

Once you’ve identified all the symptoms, now you have to take action . Above all, we want to advise you to act quickly, because a second could determine if your pet is still living or not.

Search for an airy site

The first thing you have to do is take your cat to a well-ventilated place, where it is not cold but that he can feel a breeze that will relieve the discomfort and make him feel relaxed. Be careful when moving it, since, although it has never done so, it could scratch or bite you, since sick cats tend to become somewhat aggressive.

Call the vet

Contact the veterinarian to go to your home, or to notify him that you are going to his consultation. Ask him what you can do while the time comes to find you.

Have an emergency veterinarian’s telephone number available 24 hours before this kind of thing happens; It is a prevention that will save your animal’s life in an emergency.

Do not give anything that has not been prescribed by the veterinarian

This is a mistake we make because when we search on the internet or discuss it with people close to us, there are always the tips that are intended to help but that do not always work.

You could put your cat in danger, so follow the veterinarian’s instructions. Remember that there are also countries where there is a helpline for poisoned animals, who can also guide you on what to do.

Don’t make him vomit

If you have not been able to identify the poison, do not make your cat vomit. There are certain types of substances that, together with gastric juices, would cause irreparable damage to your cat’s esophagus or digestive tract.

It is better to wait a few minutes until you meet the veterinarian, and it is he who tells you if vomiting is necessary or not.

Use activated carbon

If the vet has given you a clear path to force vomiting, use activated charcoal after it. Dilute a teaspoon in water that contains one gram for every half kilo of your cat. Try to make the mixture more solid than liquid and give it with a syringe.

The function of this product will be to prevent the body from absorbing the poison; It will form a ‘wall’ between it and the organs.

Remember that keeping calm in extreme situations like this can make a difference. Also, keep in mind that cats are very apprehensive and mimic our mood. If you transmit calm to your feline, he will also be more relaxed. Everything has a solution, so calm down!

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Enter Captcha Here : *

Reload Image